Wednesday, September 07, 2011

The Danger of Diabetes in the Eye

The dangers of Diabetes in the eye are well documented, and I had a reminder of that danger over the Labor Day weekend. I was called into the hospital to see a patient who complained of severe left eye pain. She had been having this problem for about 3 weeks, and her pain was increasing as her vision was decreasing.

When I examined her, I found that the pressure in her left eye was almost 3 times normal. As I looked further, I observed a pattern of lacy blood vessels growing on the iris of her eye. This was a sign that the Diabetes was causing a severe problem known as neovascular glaucoma.

In all likelihood, it is too late to save much if any vision in her eye. The diabetic eye disease has progressed beyond the usual retina issues, and is affecting the front of the eye. Multiple eyedrops to control pressure along with aggressive laser in the retina will be used in an attempt to save her eye, and it will be a long road.

Yearly eye exams for all patients, especially diabetics can prevent these types of problems. Early intervention with laser is especially useful when the disease is confined to the retina.

More information is available on my website www.2020vision.com/diabetes.html or during an appointment with me. Call 586-323-2020 for more info!

No comments: